This internship will run for 10 weeks. Interns are required to work 20 hours each week and will be paid $150 per week.
The intern is responsible for meeting the goals and objectives of the Development Department, along with a group of individuals devoted to fundraising:
President Joseph L. Bast
Director of Development Gwendalyn Carver
Director of Development – Eastern Region Aaron Stover
Foundation Manager Ken Braun
Development Assistant Brittney Jones
The intern will report to The Heartland Institute’s director of development.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Respond to emails and place follow-up phone calls.
- Assist the development staff with entering data into ACT donor database.
- Proofread letters to donors, prospects, and allies.
- Format and initially proofread emails and letters.
- Research new, current, and potential donors (corporation, individual, foundation).
- Assist the development staff in planning donor events and other activities (anniversary benefit dinner, planned giving seminars, etc.)
- Assist the development staff with our Planned Giving Program.
- Assist development staff with donor files and other development materials.
- Attend department meetings and staff meetings.
- Assist with mailings, filings, and special projects as needed.
- Other tasks as assigned.
The intern is expected to have:
- Interest in fundraising and events.
- Desire to learn more about fundraising.
- Significant experience and fluency with either Word Perfect or Microsoft Word.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, combined with a professional demeanor.
- Attention to detail, organizational skills, and the ability to make reasoned judgments.
- Creativity and the drive to help implement new ideas.
Hours, Start Date, and Duration
Flexible within business hours (8:00 am to 5:00 pm). A firm commitment of 20 hours per week is required. The internship will start at a mutually agreed upon date and may continue through the academic year depending on mutual interest and satisfactory performance.
How to Apply
To apply for the position, please submit a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (please put “Development Intern” in the subject line). No phone calls, please.
While the above is a description of the essential functions of the position, other duties may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at the discretion of management. Please visit our website at www.heartland.org to learn more.