Heartland Author Series: The Age of Global Warming - Rupert Darwall
The Age of Global Warming: A History is the first book to tell the full storyof the concerns over global warming and put the movement into its historical context. It explains:
- Why 19th century predictions of eco-doom turned out to be wrong – but are still believed
- The First Environmental Wave in the 1960s, and how it came crashing down during the economic crisis of the 1970s
- The 1980s and renewed economic growth leading to the rise of the Second Wave, when global warming burst on the world with an unlikely political champion – Margaret Thatcher
- How science became the spear carrier of the environmental movement and global warming its most powerful argument
- How politics “settled the science” of global warming in 1992 when the governments of the world agreed to the UN climate change convention at the Rio Earth Summit
- Why the developing world’s opposition resulted in an unprecedented humiliation for the West at the Copenhagen climate summit in 2009.
About the author:
Rupert Darwall read economics and history at Cambridge University, after which he worked at the Conservative Research Department and then in the City as an investment analyst and in corporate finance. He was a special advisor at the Treasury under Norman Lamont (alongside David Cameron).
In the private sector he has advised a number of companies, including Richard Branson’s Virgin Group, in addition to writing articles on politics and economics for publications including the Daily Telegraph, the Financial Times, The Wall Street Journal, and Forbes.
He is the author of Paralysis or Power? – The Centre Right in the 21st Century (CPS 2002), A Better Way to Help the Low Paid – US lessons for the UK tax credit system (CPS 2006), and Reluctant Manager – A report on reforming Whitehall (KPMG, 2005). He has also written three 4,000-6,000 word essays for the Hoover Institution’s Policy Review, the third of which is being published this autumn.
Video of Darwall's presentation at The Heartland Institute wil be available soon.