Letter to The Heartland Institute from Sens. Ed Markey, Barbara Boxer, and Sheldon Whitehouse
From: United States Senate, Committee on Environment and Public WorksDate: February 25, 2015To:Mr. Joseph BastPresident and Chief Executive OfficerThe Heartland InstituteOne South Wacker Drive #2740Chicago, Illinois 60606 Dear Mr.
From: United States Senate, Committee on Environment and Public Works
Date: February 25, 2015
Mr. Joseph Bast
President and Chief Executive Officer
The Heartland Institute
One South Wacker Drive #2740
Chicago, Illinois 60606
Dear Mr. Bast,
We write to request information about payments made by The Heartland Institute in support of scientific research and scientists, as well as support for other efforts related to climate change, if such payments have been made.
As members of the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, we are interested in understanding how your organization has undertaken such efforts and the degree to which these efforts have been publicly disclosed, particularly in light of recent articles about funding Dr. Willie Soon received from corporations and foundations in support of his work that he failed to disclose when publishing his results.
For the last ten years, please provide the following:
* List of funded research efforts (including but not limited to grants, fellowships, scholarships, consulting contracts, contracts, honoraria, and speaking events) on or related to climate, climate change, global warming, environmental issues, air quality, atmospheric or oceanic topics, greenhouse gas emissions, associated impacts of greenhouse gas emissions, carbon dioxide, methane, aerosols, solar radiation, vulnerable animal species or ecosystems, geology, paleoclimatology, meteorology, astrophysics, or heliophysics.
* For each payment made to individuals and/or organizations associated with the funded research efforts listed above, please provide the following information:
1. Name of recipient;
2. Institutional affiliation;
3. Payment amount and duration of the term of the funded research effort;
4. Reason for payment;
5. Copy of the grant and/or contract, including any terms containing restrictions related to the disclosure of the source of the payments; and
6. Deliverables submitted as part of the funded research effort, including any publications, or written materials.
We request that these materials be provided no later than close of business on April 3, 2015. Thank you for your consideration of this request. If you have questions or concerns, please contact Briana Tomboulian or Michael Freedhoff at 202-224-2742.
Edward J. Markey
[NOTE: To read the March 10, 2015 response by Heartland Institute President Joseph Bast, click here.]